The cult of being busy

I read this post and it resonated with me. The Cult of Being Busy. Honestly, I've riffed on similar things in the past, one thing is good meetings gone bad.

As a person who has been this harried line out my cube door person who thought they needed to be the center of the known universe, I've evolved. Frankly, from my perspective, if everybody on my team needs to ask me personally what to do for every operation they perform the team will not succeed. Nowadays, I feel the people I choose to work with must have a certainly level of professional competence and I expect them to act appropriately in the absence of specific direction from me.

My obligation in this regard is to respect their decisions and give them the freedom to make mistakes and grow as professionals. This also means that if they should really screw up I need a way to help them avoid this problem in the future.

What I see all to often is that most folks think that having their day booked with 10-16 hours of pointless and ineffective meetings somehow makes them look and feel more important than the slacker who bails out after 8 hours of solid (effective) work. From my perspective there is nothing more inaccurate than this, but I'm at a loss as to how one can change the general consensus.

I'd rather have a person on my team who gets 8 hours of work done in 4 hours than a person who does 4 hours of work in 16 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

Installing virtualbox guest additions on Centos 7 minimal image