Developer's Creed

So borrowing an idea from the NCO Creed, I thought I do one for software developers: Discipline will be my watchword, the software I create will never be perfect, but I will perform my job to the best of my abilities and remember that every letter I type should have purpose.
Ego is the enemy of good code, I will remember that "I am not my code" and never fail to admit mistakes and fix in in a humble manner.
Value is provided not through MORE code, but less. My software will be succinct.
Energy overshadows ability, I will bring my "A" game and not give up because it's "too hard".
Love for my users is always in my heart, they will break my code, I will fix it
Openness wins over closedness, I will share my tips and secrets and together we'll all make the world a better place.
Patience is paramount, sometimes the answer isn't the first, second, or fiftieth idea.
Empathy for the newbie and the uninformed wins, you never know when that intern's stupid idea will bear fruit, don't be an asshat when it's suggested.
Respect the matrix, the network effect is a power for GOOD and BAD, know how to wield it responsibly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

Installing virtualbox guest additions on Centos 7 minimal image